Wednesday, September 27, 2006
  Heroically Lame
Did we see the same show? That One Guy says this about NBC's new show, Hero:
The end result–NBC has a hit on their hands. This time, I’m pretty sure of it. With a title like Heroes, and all sorts of different things in the world that revolve around them (comic books, movies, TV shows, stuff like that), many people are probably going to want to try this one out. And they won’t leave disappointed.

As a massively "hero" oriented reader (tons of comics, a fantasy-geek, and more classical education of the term via the English major), I was almost immediately put off by this show. It brings nothing new to the table, just rehashes marvel's mutants. It was NBC's way of looking at the rise in Super Hero movies and TV, then deciding to roll those stereotypes into a few stock plots for a couple of bucks. He's right to compare it to last year's premiere of Surface because, just like that show, this one started with hype and will end with a quiet flop.
Way to go NBC.
 
Comments:
The thing that is really appealing to viewers of the show is how it is uses the formula that "Lost" has become so popular for. I don't think this will be the "Lost-killer" of the year--Lost itself is going to do that. But, we do have to remember, that formula is becoming quite the thing for TV drama these days. I really hope they can prove it with Heroes. Oh, and thanks for reading the blog--I like feedback ;).
 
You work quick! Thanks for the reply.
what exactly do you mean by the "Lost" formula? Multi-character drama spread out over different overlapping storylines? 6 Degrees is trying that too. How many shows are viewers going to be willing to commit that kind of devotion to? Lost is already losing fans because of it. Formulas like that are made to be broken. OK for a start, but if something doesn't develop from it, the show dies (Invasion, anyone?). If Heroes leaves the stereotypes, then yeah, it might prove itself. I'm just skeptical of it.
 
I was wrong, I think it's growing on me...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Welcome to the vacuum in which my various thoughts emerge, fight, and ultimately sink once more into obscurity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville/Murray, TN/KY, United States

I'm terrible at describing myself.

 
ARCHIVES
January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / February 2007 / March 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / October 2007 /


43 Things I want to do with my life.





Support your local college student:



Powered by Blogger


www.flickr.com
pyrotech2's photos More of pyrotech2's photos