Friday, October 14, 2005
  An Hour a Day
For the last two weeks I've been devoting an hour a day to introspection, reflection, or meditation. Some days it's been bible study, some days it's been a fiction read. Occasionally it's just been a brief time to stare at the ceiling and thank God for an hour to kill. Even if I don't have one.
I'm not doing any of my typical activities during that hour, either. A month ago I'd spend my spare time on the computer or a video game. If I had more than 15 minutes, that automatically translated into 3-5 rounds of Smash Bros, one good survival match on Soul caliber 2, or 5 more danger room sequences in X-Men.
Not really a productive way to spend my time.
And I'm learning that those hours on the games add up, but they don't relax me. Often they'd tense me up, make me edgy or keep me focused on getting to the next level. I don't buy into most of the "danger of video games" propaganda that people like Jack Thompson make a living off of, but I do know myself. I know that I'm going to do whatever I do until I do it better than anyone I know.
As you can imagine, my academic pursuits aren't quite up to my gaming record.
So taking a break from that has helped me get a little perspective again. I'm focusing on more things, and trying to devote equal time to all of them. I feel a little more relaxed even though a time or two it's meant staying up an extra hour on homework. I'm hoping to not lose this hour once NaNoWriMo kicks up. May not be easy, but if I can get some extra assignments done early than hopefully I'll keep on top of things later.

Oh, and once I get better at this time management thing, I'll hopefully be better at updating my blog, too :).
 
Welcome to the vacuum in which my various thoughts emerge, fight, and ultimately sink once more into obscurity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville/Murray, TN/KY, United States

I'm terrible at describing myself.

 
ARCHIVES
January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / February 2007 / March 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / October 2007 /


43 Things I want to do with my life.





Support your local college student:



Powered by Blogger


www.flickr.com
pyrotech2's photos More of pyrotech2's photos