Sunday, August 21, 2005
  Hanging out with Rainy T
Insomnia hit me like a terrible metaphor tonight.
I stared at the ceiling and listened to the party across the hall for about 20 minutes, then I got up. I couldn't really join them, they've never been my crowd, and Tristan was asleep so I couldn't shake it off w/some TV (even though it's Saturday Night and I'm missing Adult Swim!). So I walked.
20 minutes later I was watching a hummingbird eat out of our massive pile of newly planted flowers. I watched him for a while, until a group of girls from the Hughes Street Party walked by and looked at me like I was an idiot or a creep. Nothing like having people go to the other end of the street to avoid you.
Anyway, I left the hummingbird before someone called Racer Patrol on me ("There's, like, this creepy guy, and he's just standing there..."). I walked on up to the farthest corner of campus, looped around the President's House, and started heading back down. The whole time the racket from Hughes street was echoing across the silent campus.
Cutting across the quad, I ignored the Shoe Tree and landed at Rainy T's feet. Rainy T's our founder, and because someone back in the day said every college has to have a bronze statue of their founder, he stands there handing a diploma to the quad. The way he's standing makes him both a seat and backrest, with his cane to your left and the diploma dangling to the right. I sat there, looking across the misty quad and up at the fairy-ringed moon, and wondered what old Rainy T would think of MSU today. The noise from down the street still reached over. For a school that's a 60/40 majority female, it always seems like there's a lot of loud guys here. Maybe it's the party factor.
Rainy looks like a religious man. He has little glasses, a comb-over, and a patient look to him. He reminds me of the elders I've seen at other churches. The patience hasn't always been there, the lines of it being earned are plain.
Rainy T looks like the kind of guy that would have had patience for a lot of people. Leaning back on his bronze loafers, I wish I was a little more like him there. He's handing the diploma to some kid who's flown through in 3 years (and 2 summers), but under those Harry-Potter glasses he's saying "I hope you're ready for this." He knows. He's got his robes and his hat and his lines across his arms. The little hoods hang off the back in layers. He's earned his medieval hoop-la. And he'll help you earn yours.
But hopefully you'll be walking away with a little more than just some piece of paper. Hopefully an Education will follow.
 
Welcome to the vacuum in which my various thoughts emerge, fight, and ultimately sink once more into obscurity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville/Murray, TN/KY, United States

I'm terrible at describing myself.

 
ARCHIVES
January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / February 2007 / March 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / October 2007 /


43 Things I want to do with my life.





Support your local college student:



Powered by Blogger


www.flickr.com
pyrotech2's photos More of pyrotech2's photos