Wednesday, August 10, 2005
  Dave's Baha Bug
I heard a "David story" this morening that I've just got to share. David's my stepdad. He grew up in rural Kentucky, and brings stories like this up fairly often. They usually start with something like "My cousin Earnie's Daddy's brother's friend..." or "Back in the day when I was, hell, I dunno, about your age I guess...." By the end of the story you'll have been introduced to about 5 more people in Dave's vastly populated world (I never figured out how you could live miles from anywhere and still know so many people). Generally, they're not called "David stories" until they've been told to everyone in the household at least 3 times, but this one's a special case because it's just such a great set of images.

David launched into his story this morning while we were on the way to work. We had just passed a Baha Bug for sale on Charlotte, and since I'm still on the car hunt I was trying my best to read the price. I think it said $5k, but it may have been $1500, or even $500 (which would mean it doesn't run). Anyway, on with David's story. I'll edit out the descriptive explatives he usually uses.

When Dave was in his 20's him and a buddy of his bought a '63 Bug for $200. He didn't say whether he'd "Baha'd" it or whether they'd bought it that way, but it didn't really matter. It was a Baha Bug. The roof had been cut out to make a crank-back top that went all the way over to the doors, and the entire Bug had been painted like an American Flag. The exhaust pipes stuck up so tall they looked like a pair of [beepitybeepity] antennas.

David wasn't really taken by the American Flag Motif, so one day he decided to repaint it. He took to sanding, and found coat after coat after coat of paint. He got creative, or fed up, with this after a while and started sanding off in creative places. He turned it into a "psychedelic" design by sanding in patterns and swirls.

Groovy.

So now we have the psychedelic baha bug. This is rural KY, so you know what happens next.

It's time to get Dukes-of-Hazzard-stupid in it.

David and his buddy (I think it really was his cousin Earnie, come to think of it) take off to the nearby lake / park. They go tearing through tall grass, zipping around trees, and generally have a field day testing the neigh-indestructible nature of a VW Bug.

Then they come up on this big hill.

It should be noted here that Dave's not from this area, and neither of them are really in a full, clear thinking state of mind.

Dave's buddy (Earnie?) tells him to floor it over this next hill. "Okay" Dave says, and does just that.

A second after they're airborn, David looks down and says another of those words I'm not going to print.

They crashed straight through an abandoned shack without slowing down.

The Baha Bug died about a month after David bought it. He sold the broken down remains for $50. It remains the best $200 he ever spent.
 
Welcome to the vacuum in which my various thoughts emerge, fight, and ultimately sink once more into obscurity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville/Murray, TN/KY, United States

I'm terrible at describing myself.

 
ARCHIVES
January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / February 2007 / March 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / October 2007 /


43 Things I want to do with my life.





Support your local college student:



Powered by Blogger


www.flickr.com
pyrotech2's photos More of pyrotech2's photos