Monday, August 01, 2005
  College Scheduling Woes
First, I want to apologize for not blogging any this weekend. I spent Friday and Saturday in Murray, and Sunday at a cookout. I'll try and make up for it.
I don't know what new to report. Do you ever have those dry spells where you just don't really fell like writing anything? I'm on one of those. Finishing HP6 left a bit of emptiness in me, I guess. I'm just not "feeling it."
Of course, I'm already stressed about school, so that may be part of it too.
Eh.
I backed down from the coffee pot this morning, but I'm considering going back to it just for warmth. Our office, always kept around 65 for the computers, is probably about 10 degrees cooler than that today. I'm seriously considering bringing a jacket or sweater.
My internship here ends a week from this Friday. I've learned a lot, but won't be recieving 488 credit for it. The school would have required me to pay tuition, something I couldn't really afford to do. Besides, if I don't get 488 credit, I get another tech writing class, and I certainly don't mind that.
I'm have to look at the long term, though. This spring and next fall (07) I'll take my last two creative writing classes. This fall and next spring (07) I'll take my last two Tech writing classes. I'm almost done with Honors Program credits (I have Humanities this fall, International Business next spring, and Thesis Spring 07). After Adv. Comp and Lit to 1760 this fall I'll have to take Shakespeare, Contemporary Lit/World Lit, and 3 other Lit Surveys (Chaucer will probably be one of them). I think that's all of it. It really doesn't seem like that much when you sum it up that way, does it? (13 classes, I take 5 a semester usually). And that's for the lit area. If I just get I creative writing major / tech writing minor, I don't 3 of those need those (bumping it down to 10 classes, even two semester and I'd graduate on time!). I want Lit, though, for when I go back for MA / Doctorate studies. Medieval Lit still seems like it'd be a lot of fun to study.
I already almost have a professional writing minor. The Technical writing certificate actually requires less, which seems strange to me. For me, though, it's one more. It's got a more narrow range of courses, and I've taken the ones that don't line up with it. Whoops. I'll end up taking 2/3's of it anyway, though, so I may toss the third in for kicks.
Everything depends on the scheduling. If they'd offer these classes in a good rhyme / reason, I'd be able to get out "on time" (in a total of 4 years). But they overlap, or fall on odd semesters, or have some other conflicts. So I'll attend for 5, or at least 4 1/2. If I added a German Minor (making me a Creative Writing/Lit Area Major with a double minor in Technical Writing and German), I'd have 5 more classes to work in. Since I'm not taking a German course this fall, that'd mean I'd probably have to do the Summer in Austria program (knocking out 2 or 3 courses, making it manageable). I'd probably drop the lit requirement, then, earning me the space to do it. I would be taking 15 classes, 3 semesters worth in an ideal world, over the course of 4 and a summer, which is how long it really takes). I'm keeping that possibility open, but without taking 301 in the fall it's hurting my chances.
I've just always wanted to be fluent in a second language. I feel like our fixation on English here in America is a serious shortcoming. Language studies reveal so much about the culture and the history of a place. And going somewhere that isn't English accessable is one of the most humbling things us spoiled Americans can do.
But hey, I like stuff like that.
Ugh. This is making my head hurt.
 
Welcome to the vacuum in which my various thoughts emerge, fight, and ultimately sink once more into obscurity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville/Murray, TN/KY, United States

I'm terrible at describing myself.

 
ARCHIVES
January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / February 2007 / March 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / October 2007 /


43 Things I want to do with my life.





Support your local college student:



Powered by Blogger


www.flickr.com
pyrotech2's photos More of pyrotech2's photos