Thursday, June 23, 2005
  Land of the [less] Free
Congress actually passed the bill banning flag burning. Never mind how many times it's been shot down in the past for being an infringement on First Amendment Rights. Amazing.
No, those of you who are gasping at me, I would never burn a flag in protest (that distinction needs made simply because the proper method of disposal is actually by respectful burning). Such a blatant display of contempt for our nation makes me somewhat ill to see, much less take part in. Then again, I'm never going to become Atheist, become a slumlord, follow every third word with an explitive, or do all the other legal yet contemptable things allowed here. Fact is, there's plenty of things that offend me to the point of serious rage, but that doesn't mean that right can be stripped from others.
So, yes, I realize I'm setting myself up for serious damage here, but at least I'm not doing so alone.
Bravo to lacy for posting this quote from the American President:
"You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil who is standing center stage advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours ...
The symbol of your country cannot just be a flag. The symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Now show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms. Then you can stand up and sing about the land of the free."
 
Welcome to the vacuum in which my various thoughts emerge, fight, and ultimately sink once more into obscurity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville/Murray, TN/KY, United States

I'm terrible at describing myself.

 
ARCHIVES
January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / February 2007 / March 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / October 2007 /


43 Things I want to do with my life.





Support your local college student:



Powered by Blogger


www.flickr.com
pyrotech2's photos More of pyrotech2's photos